Hello!!! We are the Swains.

Hi, we are the Swains and we are going on a journey.
We are taking our 47 foot sailboat, Flying Fish, out of it's home port, Wellfleet harbor, down the intercoastal waterway to Florida and the Bahamas.

We are a family of five.

Our Mom is Sarah Swain, a super cool awesome musician who has her own band.
Dad is Steve Swain, a metal sculptor and an ocean enthusiast.
The little one is Stanley, a four year old, who dreams to be a ocean explorer.
The middle child is Jessie, a ten year old, who wants to be a baker, marine biologist, and a shark hugger.
And last but not least is me, Lucy, a 12 year old who has big plans of becoming a ocean activist and marine biologist. 

Our family has always been interested in the ocean but we never thought that our whole lives would revolve around it. I thought that sharks were scary and did not have the least amount of interest in them. All of this changed when our dad signed us up for Gills Club, an education initiative working to get girls interested in sharks, without us knowing, and made us go. After the first meeting we were so exited about sharks and the ocean and we wished that we could go to Gills Club every day. All we wanted to do was learn more and more about the fascinating creatures sharks are.

As soon as we heard about the horrible things happening to the ocean and all the things that live in it we knew we need to help. We partnered up with a company called 5 Gyres that studies ocean plastics. We will be taking samples and collecting data for them on our trip. Here are a few ways you can help reduce the amount of ocean plastics.: 1. Use less plastic 2. Anytime you are at the beach pick up trash and make sure it get disposed of properly 3. Make sure all the trash is making it into the trash can. 

Here are some photos of some things that we have done that have to do with the ocean and our trip.

Jessie and I with a conch shell we found while sailing around the British Virgin Islands.
Me sailing my family's catboat around Long Pond in Harwich.
Our friend Ceci, Jessie and I with our lemonade stand to benefit Wildcare.
Our friend Phebe, Jessie and I at one of our first Gills club meetings. 
Jessie and I with famous ocean explorer, Bob Ballard.
Me snorkeling on our trip to the Bahamas, looking for the turtles we had seen earlier.
Famous oceanographer Sylvia Earle holding up some of our dad's  fish after we had seen her speak at Harvard.
Jessie and I with the shark that washed up on the beach, before the necropsy.
Jessie, Marianne, and I watching the necropsy on the shark.
Jessie and I with Brian Skerry, famous National Geographic  underwater photographer.

We are so exited for our trip and the opportunities that will come along with it!!! 

Thanks for reading :) 

Comments

1. Amazing! Can't wait to follow the adventure here!

ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very excited about what you are doing, Lucy. Good luck and keep us informed!

ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

ReplyDelete
  4. Go go go!! Keeping tabs on you guys!! Amazing what you're doing. Lots of love from Liams sister Annika in Sweden ����

ReplyDelete
  5. have a wonderful trip..I moved to the Caribbean for a second time in life, when Marguerite was in 6th grade. It was life changing for both of us..this is an amazing experience you are sharing with your children...

ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, I think you miscounted..I see a family of 6..is doggie going?

ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing Lucy can't wait to see all the stuff you post!!!

ReplyDelete
  8. Smooth and safe sailing. May the wind be always at your back, the sun on your face

ReplyDelete
  9. The Swain family rides again! You are an inspiration for our whole community! Your dreams came true! May you always be healthy, happy and have drinkable water. Sending blessings along this journey. I can tell it's only a chapter in your lives, each of you have so much to offer this life. Maybe the Swain family will open a foundation focused on healing ocean life? Maybe they will sail the world recording discoveries along the way helping the rest of the world understand more clearly what they experience. No matter what, be in the moment, that's all we've got. And love to the fullest. I give you my strength to uplift unknowns along the way. You are admired, loved and appreciated. Your dream came true, there will be time for more! Sending deep love. Xo :)

ReplyDelete
  10. I look forward to reading your blog Lucy! Very well done. I am excited for you and your family and hope you have a wonderful adventure! Be safe, write often and smell that beautiful ocean that you will be sailing on. Ruth

ReplyDelete
  11. This will be the trip of a lifetime! So excited for you and very well written!

ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so excited for all of you. Brianna will miss you so much. Looking forward to follow your journey and learn from what you discover. Take care all and a safe journey. The chickens are getting along with the others.
    Love,
    The Cruz's Family

ReplyDelete
  13. It will be the journey of a lifetime! In 1960 I made such a trip with my parents and four siblings. We sailed from Orleans on our 48 ft Alden yawl, went down the ICW to the Bahamas. I was the oldest at ten years. During the trip, I had more friends and adventures than I could have imagined. Hope you all have an even better voyage. Norm in Harwich

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Norm. Hearing things like that makes us feel even more exited about the trip.
      -Lucy

Delete
  14. Save trip. Kris and I look forward to reading your posts

ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you will show us some pictures of your yacht.
    Norm

ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Catchup Blogpost!!! Hapton VA 10/18/17-Beaufort 10/31/17